Chidambaram plays down tricolour faux pas
Vishwa Mohan, TNN, Jun 27, 2010, 04.04am IST
ISLAMABAD: It might have been inadvertent, but Pakistan has done it again. The Indian flag was displayed upside down on the table as home minister P Chidambaram sat with his Pakistani counterpart Rehman Malik for bilateral talks in the interior ministry building.
Though the flag was immediately put right at Friday's meeting, it caught media attention with even officials here wondering how somebody made such a mistake, albeit even a minor one.
Earlier, when a special PIA plane flew in with then president Pervez Musharraf to Jaipur from Islamabad in 2005, the Indian flag was upside down. The aircraft had the tricolour on one side of its nose and Pakistan flag on the other. The mistake was detected soon after Musharraf and his wife left for Ajmer and was corrected.
Reacting to Friday's mistake, Chidambaram said: "Visual in one of the channels that showed that the Indian flag had been upside down when there was one on one meeting between me and Rehman Malik. That was the first visual but immediately after we sat down I noticed the error.....it was put right."
Seeking to play down the incident, he said: "I think it is a minor mistake and I don't think we should make much of it. The flag was put right and I therefore request the channel to show the second visuals taken when the delegations were meeting.".......http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JTS8yMDEwLzA2LzI3I0FyMDA5MDQ=&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom
No comments:
Post a Comment