http://t.co/ewjiShbP
Senior cops should be vigilant and accessible: R P N Singh
Vishwa Mohan ,TNN | Dec 30, 2012, 07.11AM IST
Minister of state for home, R P N Singh, has assured that the government will seek the harshest punishment for the rapists and murderers of Nirbhaya, who died early on Saturday in a Singapore hospital. Speaking toVishwa Mohan a day before the girl's death, Singh said that the police need to connect with people more for improving law and order in cities
Whatever happened at India Gate last week has enraged the people who think the government mishandled the entire situation. Don't you think it could have been handled in a better way?
Whenever you look at something in hindsight , it always seems that it could have been done better. I can understand that it was an emotional outburst of people, especially girls, who feel insecure on the streets of Delhi. This perception was there and we in the government understood that. Ninetynine per cent of the people were demonstrating peacefully. It was in fact the emotion of the city.
There were all kinds of people there who I can say were leaderless...there was no particular person we could immediately speak to. Unfortunately, some people suddenly started rushing towards Rashtrapati Bhawan, which would not have achieved anything . These are highly sensitive areas. If they had got to Rashtrapati Bhawan, you would have said that the government had failed to stop them. The emotion at that time was blind fury...it was blind rage.
Wouldn't it have been better for you or other ministers or young Congress leaders to have gone to India Gate and talked to the protesters?
There was a serious attempt in that direction . In fact, I was meant to go to the protesters that night (last Saturday) to tell them what all the government was doing and also to get their suggestions. It was absolutely clear that I was meant to be going there and make a statement. But when I was about to leave for India Gate, the home ministry — at the highest level — decided that it would not be apt for me to go there because if any untoward incident happened, it would have been disastrous for innocent protesters. Damned if we do, damned if we don't . The ministry had inputs that there were 'elements' (political and criminal) who would deliberately try to create a disturbance. We, therefore, tried to avoid such a situation and decided to reach out to people through the media.
What prompted police to beat up innocent protesters and journalists? Is there any justification for police brutality?
Ihave repeatedly apologized for this and I am apologizing again to the people who got hurt in police action. But we should look at the other point of view too. We have to keep things in perspective. There were policemen who also got hurt. They were not beating themselves. Why were stones being pelted? Why was public property— kept there for the Republic Day preparations — burnt down? I am not blaming the people. I still insist that a large number of people were protesting against the barbaric incident (Nirbhaya's gang rape) that happened on December 16. But the issue got lost (due to violence). I would say there was disconnect between what we were doing and what they were there for.
Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit wanted action against policemen at the highest level, including transfer of the police commissioner. Doesn't this show disconnect between the city government and the Centre though both are being ruled by Congress/Congress-led UPA?
I can feel Sheila Dikshit's sense of angst. If something wrong of that magnitude happens , everyone looks at her and asks why she couldn't do anything. But one should keep in mind that she is the chief minister of Delhi and Delhi Police is not directly under her government. When people demand action against policemen...what can she do? She cannot be a mute spectator. I can understand the anxious moments she has spent. We have already taken action against a few policemen. The inquiry is going on. We will take strict action against anyone who is found wanting (in preventing the incident or mishandling the investigation).
What steps will the government/police take to make our cities safer?
The government has already taken a couple of steps (setting up a helpline number, increased police patrolling, creating a directory of convicted sexual offenders, etc). I would also request people to turn their emotion into rationality and give their suggestions to both the Justice J S Verma Committee (constituted to give recommendations on amending laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in sexual assault cases) and Mehra Commission of Inquiry (into the Delhi gang rape). We will certainly implement their recommendations in a time-bound manner. Besides, I would suggest senior police officers to remain vigilant — try to connect with people. Senior police officers should be accessible to people and get their feedback. If you stay connected , you will automatically improve the situation.......................http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JTS8yMDEyLzEyLzMwI0FyMDIwMDA=&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom
No comments:
Post a Comment